I wanna take my clothes off
(It's getting hot in here)
So I just went to a talk given by the former CEO of Shell Gasoline about global warming. It was great in that I had just read an article to Nikki about a prospective timeline for humanity in which around 2030 coastal cities like New York had been abandoned because of rising sea levels, etc. She found it preposterous, and said the source was being overly dramatic (granted). So here is the former CEO of Shell. He said that there is a widely agreed upon magic number of ca. 550 ppm CO2 in the atmosphere which can be considered a turning point. Above this number the results of climate change are likely to become irreversable - specifically meaning for example the permanent loss of the antarctic ice sheets, the elimination of the typhoon season in eastern Asia, drastic changes in ocean currents. By current projections, we'll reach 550 ppm in 45 years (we're currently at ca. 381).
Anyway I dunno if any of you are environmentally minded anymore, I know I'm the only Billet bred vegetarian (methane gas from cattle being new zealand's second highest source of greenhouse gases behind carrrs)... but yeah, I think we should try to take more public transportation. And I'm gonna write something to Mikulski, cause we're tight that way. And for god sake don't elect anyone who talks about corn ethanol as a solution.
just sort of, you know, fyi.

etc

2 Comments:
i use public transportation except when i have to take somebody somewhere who's too confused to use the subway. ahem.
but seriously, let's not kid ourselves.
what we need are really big rafts.
and space colonies.
7:11 PM
I've been considering your really big raft proposal, and I've decided to start building. I have 50 empty soymilk containers. Which I can't really explain. I like them. They will form my cabin.
I am going to Yale.
2:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home